The Sarabite: Towards an Aesthetic Christianity

There is a continuous attraction, beginning with God, going to the world, and ending at last with God, an attraction which returns to the same place where it began as though in a kind of circle. -Marsilio Ficino

Saturday, October 13, 2007

An Overture in the Form of a Small Rant


I read very few blogs on the Internet. I just don't have the time, and people seem to always say the same thing over and over and over (and over) again. But even amongst people I admire, or used to admire, there is some sort of bizarre sense that to be a real Christian one has to be nostalgic for an earlier, holier time. So as a prelude to my next more "theoretical" post (which I hope to finish in the next few days), I would like to go on record by saying the following:

I am glad that I can get on a bus and not have to worry about where I sit due to my or anyone else's skin color.

I am glad that my significant other could get her doctorate in the hard sciences and is now able to pursue a career path that will lead her as far as her talent will take her.

I am glad that my grandparents do not have to sit through a ceremony they do not understand, even if I do understand Latin.

I am glad that any children I might have will probably not die in the first three years of life, nor is it likely that my wife will die in childbirth,.

I am glad that people in this society are not forced into insincere belief and can worship as Protestants, Hare Krishnas, worshipers of the Grand Poomba, or of no one at all.

I am glad that I live in an age where people have enough time and energy to bitch about the modern world from the comfort of a soft chair, in a warm house, in front of a glowing screen.

I am glad that the world is the way it is, since I think to be otherwise would be an immense demonstration of ingratitude towards God. Even if we may decry certain aspects of our society, there are other aspects that make this a really cool time to live. Like YouTube. And running water. And convenience stores. And Netflix. Deo gratias.

And for those people who insist on an "o tempora, o mores!" attitude, careful what you wish for.

7 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Modernist, secularist, post modern, Vatican II, uber-capitalist heresy.

Heresy, damnable heresy.

 
At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is an implicit criticism of the Traditional Latin Mass in this modernist diatribe.

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you criticising your friend the Octopholobist?

I do like the old school videos on YouTube
and Netflix

 
At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We also are thankful for your blog and insight.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Levi said...

I am personally thankful for your humble and respectful attitude; despite all the boorish comments left by the bitchy anonymous people who are "catholics" displaying a terribly protestant attitude toward the Church. I mean, if you deny V2...WHY THE *&%# ARE CATHOLIC? Anyway..I also wasn't aware that capitalism is a heresy.

Arturo...you damn modernist postmodernist.

 
At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arturo is very humble, respectful and also kind and generous.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Levi said...

Yeah, just for any misunderstanding, my comment was not directed at him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home