The Sarabite: Towards an Aesthetic Christianity

There is a continuous attraction, beginning with God, going to the world, and ending at last with God, an attraction which returns to the same place where it began as though in a kind of circle. -Marsilio Ficino

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Surge et Veni


Wine of Light

by

Simin Behbahani


The stars have closed their eyes, come.
The wine of light flows through the veins of the night, come.
I have poured out so many tears waiting in the night's lap,
that twilight has blossomed and the morning has bloomed, come.
In my mind's sky your memory etches lines of gold
like a shooting star, come.
I've sat so long with the night telling my tale of woe
that the night and I have turned pale with sorrow, come.
If you are waiting to see me again when I die,
understand, this is the time, come.
If I hear anyone's footsteps, I imagine they are yours,
with all this beating, my heart is bursting out of my breast, come.
You didn't come when the sky was full of stars like grapes,
now that the dawn has picked them one by one, come.

You're the hope in the heart of Simin-the-broken-hearted,
put an end to my misery, come.


-from the collection, A Cup of Sin, translated from the Persian by Farzaneh Milani and Kaveh Safa

3 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Blogger Magotty Man said...

Wow - you certainly read widely!

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer gin and juice.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Arturo Vasquez said...

Alright, quit hating!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home