The Sarabite: Towards an Aesthetic Christianity

There is a continuous attraction, beginning with God, going to the world, and ending at last with God, an attraction which returns to the same place where it began as though in a kind of circle. -Marsilio Ficino

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Requiescat in pace


Music for Buses – V

by

Arturo Vásquez


For Corinne Crawford

I decided to take the bus
To where it ended-
Beyond familiar stops
And faces of those
Who tread wearily
On newspaper-covered floors.

I decided not to get off
At my stop
But continue to that place
Where I could see worry,
Tiny and shivering,
There below-
And I could guide the sun
With a sigh
And love all
The smallness of things.

I decided no longer to feed
The cares of the day,
But finally to get off
Near the last sign
That meant the flowing of sunset
And the end of the line,

Where waters lap on
Memory’s shore,
And once again you
Fold up the night
Like a note scrawled in affection,
And there, with courage
And gentleness,
Take flight.

I decided to take the bus
To where it ended-
To see you off
As you walked away-
Since you had brightness of heart
That belongs to so few,
May the heavens possess your soul
And the earth lie light on you.

1 Comments:

At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On behalf of Corinne's family, including me, her aunt, who changed her diaper and held her close when she was an infant, heard her speaking her first 55 (or was it 57?) words at 11 months, and witnessed that courageous, exacting, yet o so gentle spirit from its first appearance here on this earth, thank you for your poem. She did indeed "love all the smallness of things" with "brightness of heart that belongs to so few". I pray with you that "the heavens possess [her] soul and the earth lie light on [her]." If you have not yet sent a copy of the poem to her parents, I urge you to do so. It will touch and soothe their broken hearts, as it has mine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home