The Sarabite: Towards an Aesthetic Christianity

There is a continuous attraction, beginning with God, going to the world, and ending at last with God, an attraction which returns to the same place where it began as though in a kind of circle. -Marsilio Ficino

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Heart of Roman Catholicism


My new devotion to the Muse means that I am spending less and less time reading blogs. But yesterday I was perusing some briefly and I found this gem on the Canterbury Tales blog. Can anyone confirm the source of this anecdote:


Reminds me of a story I heard about Hilaire Belloc. He was visiting New York and attending High Mass at St Patrick's Cathedral. During the Canon he remained standing, as was the custom on the Continent. An usher came up and said to him, "We kneel here, sir." Belloc, holding his missal, turned to the usher and said calmly, "Go to hell." The surpised usher replied, "I'm sorry! I didn't know you were a Catholic!"


Classic!

3 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Anagnostis said...

I've always loved this anecdote, which is pure Belloc. The version I'm familiar with is set in the newly consecrated Westminster Cathedral, and has Belloc responding with a far more convincing Balliol Man's "Bugger off!".

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger AG said...

"My new devotion to the Muse means that I am spending less and less time reading blogs."

For Heaven's sake, you're hardly henpecked. Of course you are free to spend as much time as you like perusing blogs for gems like this, and free to do whatever else you'd like. I need to do a post on why men are so eager to be under the 'obligation' of a woman, whether or not that woman puts him there.

JK, I love you, you're perfect, don't change.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Arturo Vasquez said...

Thanks, Muse. It is more an issue of time and mental energy than anything else.

I love you too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home