The Sarabite: Towards an Aesthetic Christianity

There is a continuous attraction, beginning with God, going to the world, and ending at last with God, an attraction which returns to the same place where it began as though in a kind of circle. -Marsilio Ficino

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Lisa Bielawa

Does this mean that we, as vanguards of the future of music, are not supposed to care whether or not people want to hear what we write? Of course we care. We like it better when more people like what we do. It gives us company in our fascinations. It makes us feel that whatever compelled us to create certain sounds is compelling to others as well. But that isn't why we do what we do. As an artist I say: I value this experience in time -- perhaps you will too. But time is only experienced one consciousness at a time. There is always only an audience of one in my mind. It is you, or it is myself. It is an individual consciousness, experiencing sound in time.......We should all be bringing our skills and resources to the table to help each other do our work as authentically as we can, to enable as many small acts of anarchy as possible.

The composer Lisa Bielawa on the meaning of concert music today (Read the whole article and listen to samples of her music.) She is also the vocalist for the Philip Glass Ensemble, and does a fantastic job!

We hope that someone will put out commercial recordings of her work sometime in the future.

Other links of interest:

Her work on an electronic version of Hildegard Von Bingen's Ordo Virtutum.

Another page on her work.

Listen to an interview with Bielawa and selections from a piano concerto she has written.

3 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger J. Gordon Anderson said...

Do you like Arvo Part? What do you think of his work?

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Arturo Vasquez said...

I haven't found any Arvo Part that I like. Too dark for my taste. I used to have a CD of his Passio Domini Nostri Jesu Christi Secundum Iohannem. I listened to it quite a few times but I gave up. I just think the guy should "lighten up" a bit. (Isn't he Lithuanian or something. Maybe it's just not in his blood to compose something happy.) But then again, maybe I just haven't been exposed to enough of Part. I can admit that.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger J. Gordon Anderson said...

Passio is good, but rather heavy. His "De Profundis" CD is great - there is an awesome mass setting on it. It is a little dark, though, so you might not like it.

He is Estonian.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home