The Sarabite: Towards an Aesthetic Christianity

There is a continuous attraction, beginning with God, going to the world, and ending at last with God, an attraction which returns to the same place where it began as though in a kind of circle. -Marsilio Ficino

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

For AG


To put my lips to yours and die-

this is my whole desire!

To tell one's love,

the telling must posses a certain charm.


Unless I pass through the Kaba, I see nothing.

I set out to journey from

the temple, looking backwards all the way.


*************


Into my breast, into my heart,

you made your way and still


The glance that stirs men's love for you

Stirs mine and stirs it still.


Your wrath, your kindness-

I can no more tell

one from the other


The charm that kills men's

intellect killed mine and

kills mine still


Still drunk with last night's wine, my love-

and I would die for you


The sight of your unsteady gait

Charmed me and charms me still


You have not turned to God,

and that sarcastic wit of yours

which used to mock at Judgement Day

is mocking at it still


-Ghalib, translated by Ralph Russell


1 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Blogger Arturo Vasquez said...

Certain parts of these poems don't apply to you, but I present them unedited anyway, since certain parts do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home