The Sarabite: Towards an Aesthetic Christianity

There is a continuous attraction, beginning with God, going to the world, and ending at last with God, an attraction which returns to the same place where it began as though in a kind of circle. -Marsilio Ficino

Monday, January 22, 2007

"An Ecumenist Who Does Not Like Ecumenism..."

Why? That's a silly phrase, Arturo. Why don't you like ecumenism?

This could be taken as an addendum to Saturday's post, since in reality Fr. Anastassy didn't like ecumenism either. As many have pointed out elsewhere, what passes for ecumenism nowadays is merely a ploy to inflate the egos of ambitious prelates at its best, and pimping out ancient venerable doctrinal formulas at its worse. It puts way too much confidence in the limited abilities of human beings to solve the problems of this sinful, fallen world.

I learn from and worship with Christians of all stripes, and I have no regrets about this. But I refuse to try to define or justify this with some highly developed theological apologia simply because:

#1. I am not that smart.

#2. I don't think anyone really is,

and

#3. Why do I have to? Just leave it up to God.

We shouldn't worry too much about unity in the Church. As one hyper-Orthodox traditionalist once put it, the main problem in the Christian Church is not our separation from other Christians, but rather our separation from Christ. If I was united to Christ as I (little ol' me, not worrying about anyone else) should be, then I would be able to see better the plans of God. Besides, worrying about Eucharistic communion is a strange preoccupation indeed. I am lucky just to be able to receive Holy Communion at my own church every Sunday, without having to worry about what churches I can't receive Communion at.

I don't like ecumenism. Period.

(Ranting mode, off)

3 Comments:

At 4:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are right in the sense that ecumenicalism is simply a way for clergy to justify their paycheck. It would be better if the laity do the reaching out. The clergy seem to have a horrible track record with Christian unity.

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I am an ecumenist when it comes to "mere Catholics" who hold to the basics of the Tradition of the "Great Church" (Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Roman Catholics, Anglo-Catholics). I am an anti-ecumenist when it comes to Protestants. They can just all become some form of Catholic, and then we can talk.

 
At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. Schisms are to be healed by saints, not committees. (Heresies we can only entrust to the mercy of God.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home