The Sarabite: Towards an Aesthetic Christianity

There is a continuous attraction, beginning with God, going to the world, and ending at last with God, an attraction which returns to the same place where it began as though in a kind of circle. -Marsilio Ficino

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Origen Says I'm an Animal


These, therefore, who are dedicated to the study of the word of God and of reasonable doctrine, are called men. But those who are lving without such studies and do not want exercises of knowledge, but are nevertheless faithful, are called animals, though to be sure, clean ones. For just as some are men of God, so some are sheep of God.

-Origen, Third Homily on Leviticus

So there you are. Many of your suspicions about me were right.

***********

One more rant, continued from yesterday: Why do people who convert to the Catholicism or Orthodoxy always say that reading Patristics made them come to the conclusion that Orthodoxy or Catholicism is the seat of the True Church? I always have thought the opposite, maybe because I was raised as a cradle Catholic. I have had so many Protestant moments reading Origen, the Cappadocian Fathers, St. Ireneus, or even St. Maximus Confessor. It's not like they are invoking the Immaculate Conception, relics, and icons every thirty seconds. True, many of the "Catholic/Orthodox" things are in there IF you are looking for them, but they always seemed to be very much in the margin for me when I read the texts.

I now understand people who, in spite of reading Patristics, remain in Reformed Churches. Perhaps you can argue that they have cut themselves off from "doctrinal developments" since the Patristic period (yes, I have read Newman and appreciate him as a great advocate of this doctrine), but are all of these developments really important?

5 Comments:

At 10:34 PM, Blogger Sean Roberts said...

"Turn with me, Brother!"

Two years ago you were making fun of me for reading the Bible. Now I'm not reading it enough?!?

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Arturo Vasquez said...

Well, what can I say? I'm a flake. There, I said it! You shouldn't take anything I say seriously!

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Mr. G. Z. T. said...

There are some hearty Protestantisms that can stand up to cursory or in-depth readings of the Fathers, but there are some that just crumble immediately, particularly American, crypto-Gnostic, and pietistic versions. Luther and Calvin depend heavily on the Fathers and can't be easily dismissed by a one or two line citation from them, but Restorationists and many types of shallow Evangelical can.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Fr. John said...

So much good stuff here I hardly know where to begin!

Your sense of humor is superb!

In Christ,
John+

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Fr. John said...

Relics are scriptural by the way. Just think of the mantle of Elijah, or St. Paul's prayer handkerchiefs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home