The Sarabite: Towards an Aesthetic Christianity

There is a continuous attraction, beginning with God, going to the world, and ending at last with God, an attraction which returns to the same place where it began as though in a kind of circle. -Marsilio Ficino

Monday, March 06, 2006

Clean Monday


Open the gates of repentance to me, O Giver of Life, for my spirit rises early in the morning to your holy temple, bearing a temple of the body all defiled. But as you are full of pity, cleanse it by your compassionate mercy.
-from Sunday Lenten Matins of the Byzantine Church

Orthodox Christians begin their Lent today. The Orthodox Church has mastered in its services the "joyful sorrow" talked about by Father Alexander Schmemann. Western Christians owe it to themselves to become more familiar with the Eastern Church, and I will periodically post prayers and reflections on them throughout Lent. The one already posted above is by far my favorite, and applies to me above all.

I encourage all Christians to go out of their way to attend an Orthodox service during this Lenten period.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home