The Sarabite: Towards an Aesthetic Christianity

There is a continuous attraction, beginning with God, going to the world, and ending at last with God, an attraction which returns to the same place where it began as though in a kind of circle. -Marsilio Ficino

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Clarifications

In my last post, I might have come across as judging too much other Roman Catholics. Indeed, I have no problem with the laity and many clergy in the Roman Catholic Church. I think many of them are of good will and try to live out the Gospel as well as they can under the circumstances. Blessed are those who are not bothered by Church politics! This is the case with my immediate family.

However, my point was more intended for those neo-conservative Catholic cheerleaders who continue to assert that there is nothing seriously wrong with the Catholic Church as it is today. It was intended to express that we are no longer in the world of the absolute certainity of the "Una Sancta" of Pius IX, but rather the more ambiguous world of Lumen Gentium and Ut Unum Sint. I cannot understand how many Catholic pundits can continue to beat up on those outside the Papal fold when the Papacy itself has ceased to do so. I cannot understand how they can pretend to be so ultramontane in such an ecumenical world.

Like Newman, I do not doubt the sincerity of those who continue to remain in the Roman Catholic "non-entity". I do not doubt that the Holy Spirit is using it for the good. I do doubt that it is the only source of sanctification when it has already put away for good that distinguishing mantle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home