The Sarabite: Towards an Aesthetic Christianity

There is a continuous attraction, beginning with God, going to the world, and ending at last with God, an attraction which returns to the same place where it began as though in a kind of circle. -Marsilio Ficino

Monday, May 28, 2007

But the Greatest of These...


Two Dusty Albums

by

Arturo Vásquez

(for AG)

The rising of love
Is grandiose in the mind;

It peeks in with the first light
And keeps the time
With her hands,

Gently clapping, cramped
Rooms of trinkets-
Lives piled up with dust
And untouched.

The past rocks vigorously
In her chair-
Neglected scraps of paper
Between pages.

All of these faces, behold
The treasure of widows
And lonely nights-
The syncopated cooing of babies
And the smiles and vibrant talk
Of innocence sealed off
From tomorrow.

Somber monuments emerge
Of grown-up parting.

This is where I left myself
And I am left-

The echo of birdsong alone
Beyond that threshold
Leads me up
From Hades-

Orpheus is taking
Eurydice’s hand.

For when I was a child,
I spoke as a child,
I wept as a child,
I laughed the last rays
Of dusk as a child,

But when I became a man,
I put all of these small things
Into my heart.

And now I take your hand
And ascend into the
New morning
Of photographs dreamt
But not yet taken.

2 Comments:

At 1:00 AM, Blogger AG said...

"All of these faces, behold
The treasure of widows
And lonely nights-
The syncopated cooing of babies
And the smiles and vibrant talk
Of innocence sealed off
From tomorrow."

And you were so adorable on the day of your baptism! (And you still are!)

Thank you.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Arturo Vasquez said...

You're welcome, sweetie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home